Historic Ranch Tours
Ranching in the Big Horn Basin started early, and the Meeteetse area was among the first to establish cattle and sheep ranches.
The Pitchfork Ranch is famous as one of the west’s true cattle empires. It was the first cattle ranching operation of the Big Horn Basin, established in 1879 by Otto Franc. By 1900, thousands of cattle grazed along the Greybull and Wood Rivers. Although the first colony of Black Footed Ferrets was discovered on the John Hogg Ranch, the Pitchfork is also well known for the fact that a colony of an endangered species thought to be extinct, was found on its grasslands. The Meeteetse Museums sponsors a tour every year in July. Details can be found on the Meeteetse Museums website.
In the early 1930’s, Carl Dunrud purchased the Kirwin area and the lands around it. Six and a half miles below Kirwin he built the Double D Dude Ranch. Among his first guests were Amelia Earhart and her husband, George Putnam. Meeteetse Museums offers a tour of the ranch, including the main lodge, barns, guest cottages, and the swimming pool. Details are on the Meeteetse Museums website.